Monday, August 26, 2013

King Ranch Chicken


One of my favorite foods is any type of Mexican style dish!! I love this recipe because it doesn't take much time to put together and can be adapted for your own personal tastes....you can easily spice it up or keep it mild for the kids.  


I just had to share a picture of my new casserole dish! I found this gorgeous painted 13 x 9 dish at Target recently and have been anxious to use it. Typically I bake desserts and casseroles in clear glass dishes......so to add this colorful design to my collection was exciting! Such a unique look to bring to the next potluck event!!!



King Ranch Chicken
adapted from the Eat & Explore Oklahoma cookbook

corn tortilla chips
4 chicken breasts, cooked & shredded
1 onion, diced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 cup milk
1 can Cream of Chicken soup
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can Rotel (I use mild)
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13 x 9 pan with broken tortilla chips. Spread shredded chicken over the top. In a large saucepan, mix and heat the remaining ingredients, except cheese, then pour over the chicken.  Top with the shredded cheese. Cover with foil and bake about 15 minutes; remove foil and bake until cheese bubbles.  




Notes: Another short cut would be to use rotisserie chicken. Also you can replace the Cream of Mushroom soup with a can of Cream of Chicken. I've also topped the casserole with shredded Monterey Jack cheese or a Mexican blend cheese. Super yummy with a dollop of sour cream or guacamole and a side of chips!!!  It is an easy casserole that you can make your own! I've even seen some recipes that add a can of drained corn or black beans to the casserole......although I like to serve the corn & beans on the side. Enjoy!

Carissa

No comments:

Post a Comment