Friday, September 6, 2013

Chicken a la King




Whenever I crave comfort food I often think about chicken pot pie. I have a few favorite "pot pie" recipes but I'm always willing to try a new version. I grabbed a copy of the newest Taste of Home Ultimate Freezer magazine recently and the recipe for Turkey a la King caught my eye.  This recipe is quick to make with simple ingredients you have at home.  I tweaked the recipe a little and used cooked diced chicken breasts instead of turkey.  



Chicken a la King

1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
1 can (14 1/2oz.) chicken broth
1 cup milk
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
1 cup sliced cooked carrots
1 cup cut cooked green beans
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 can of biscuits (bake according to directions on can while making the chicken a la king)

In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.  Stir in the chicken, carrots, green beans, salt and pepper; heat through. Serve immediately with warm baked biscuits or cool and freeze in a freezer container for up to 3 months.  

Notes: To use frozen chicken a la king......thaw container in the refrigerator overnight. Transfer to a saucepan; add a little chicken broth to thin if necessary.  Cook over medium heat until heated through, stirring occasionally. Serve with biscuits.

*This recipe can easily be adapted to your own likes. I used frozen vegetables that I thawed before adding to the saucepan. You could add a bag of frozen mixed vegetables or any variety of canned or fresh veggies. This recipe creates a lot of creamy sauce so I definitely think you could add more meat & vegetables than the recipe calls for. Let me know if you try this yummy version or have any suggestions for good add ins!!

Carissa

No comments:

Post a Comment