Friday, January 24, 2014

Gummy Hearts

My kids just love these bite size treats that practically melt in your mouth. They are so easy to prepare….in fact my 9 year old daughter helped me with this recipe. It only requires three ingredients and your pick of adorable silicone molds. I bought this set of small heart molds in the dollar spot section of Target. 
In a medium saucepan, whisk together 2 packages of jello, 4 envelopes of gelatin and 1 cup of water. 
Heat over a medium to low setting until the jello melts. Continue to whisk for a few minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 2 minutes; then transfer to a glass container with a pouring spout. 
Each heart tray makes fourteen treats. There is no need to pre-spray the trays. The jello candy will pop right out whenever it is set and cool. Simply pour the melted jello mixture into each mold about 2/3 full (or carefully to the top of the mold). The recipe I made filled exactly 4 heart trays creating a total of 56 cherry flavored hearts!!
While we were making the cherry hearts we decided to go ahead and make a second batch with orange jello. It is just so easy to do!!!
So I used my extra molds (bear, butterfly and snowflake shapes) for the melted orange jello mixture.  It is always a great idea to double the recipe because these do not last long in my house!                                                         
Let the jello set in the molds for 10-20 minutes. Then invert the molds and gently push out each gummy candy. These do not need to be refrigerated. They are easily stored in a Valentine's ziploc bag, plastic container or any cute decorative tin! The sweet cherry flavored hearts are the perfect Valentine's Day treat….or for any day that you want an easy snack that the kids will love!

Gummy Hearts

2 (3oz.) packages of cherry jello (or any flavor you like)
4 envelopes of gelatin
1 cup of water

Combine jello, gelatin and water into a medium saucepan.  Heat on medium for about 5 minutes or until the jello crystals are dissolved….whisking occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool for 2 minutes. Pour into a glass container that has a spout. Carefully pour warm mixture into the silicone mold trays. Let cool in the molds for at least 10-20 minutes or until set. Remove gummy candy from molds and store in airtight container. 



2 comments:

  1. I always loved these when I was a kid. My mom just made a pan full and cut them in squares. I like the molds. I'll have to try that, the kids would love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Informative Blog.It helped me alot. Good Work Keep it Up!
    Regards:
    Cherry Gummys

    ReplyDelete