Monday, January 6, 2014

Cheesy Cauliflower & Ham Soup


There is a bitter cold sweeping across most of the states right now. My first impulse is to whip up a big batch of hot soup!!! Of course I love soup so much that I truly don't need the excuse of "cold weather".  I was so thrilled to find this new recipe... which is basically a cheesy chicken broth soup with the use of cauliflower instead of potatoes. I adapted the recipe by also adding diced ham to make my meat craving husband happy. Overall my entire family loved the cheesy blended flavors and practically licked their bowls clean!!!


Cheesy Cauliflower & Ham Soup
adapted from Taste of Home


1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
1 medium carrot, diced
1/4 cup celery, diced
8 ounces diced ham
2 1/2 cups water
2 teaspoons chicken granules (instant bouillon)
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups milk (I used skim)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot sauce, (optional)

In a large soup pot, combine the cauliflower, carrot, celery, ham, water and chicken bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender (do not drain). In a different saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth.  Gradually add milk.  Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until thickened.  Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese until melted. Add hot sauce if desired.  Pour the cheese mixture into the large soup pot with the cauliflower mixture.  Stir to combine and then serve in bowls with a dash of parsley. 


This soup made the perfect amount for our family of five for dinner. Although I was pretty disappointed when I realized that there weren't any leftovers for lunch the next day. I plan on doubling the recipe next time!!! This delicious soup consists of basic ingredients that I keep readily available at home. I only had to buy some fresh cauliflower and ham at the grocery store.  It is such an easy belly-warming comfort food!!! 

1 comment:

  1. I also love soups. I am looking for this particular recipe that I had once in a dinner. I might try this one out. Thank you for posting.

    Military spouse

    ReplyDelete