Thursday, March 13, 2014

Stuffing Mix Meatloaf

To say that my life has been busy lately is an understatement!! Between kid activities and base events, I don't know what day of the week it is half the time! One thing I do appreciate during these crazy weeks is comfort food….and nothing is better than buttery mashed potatoes and savory meatloaf!!!
The ingredients couldn't be easier! With the genius addition of Stove Top stuffing mix, you don't have to worry about measuring bread crumbs. I chose the Chicken flavored Low Sodium version…but you could pick any flavor you like!

The original recipe calls for 1 pound of ground beef. Since I'm feeding a hungry family of five, I decided to use 2 1/4 pounds of lean ground beef. It truly works better with that amount because of the use of stuffing mix. I think using only 1 pound of ground meat would increase the stuffing mix flavor. For our family 2 1/4 pounds was perfect! I spread the meat mixture out in a 9 x 13 inch glass pan which decreased the cooking time. 

Stuffing Mix Meatloaf
2 pounds ground beef
1 box Stuffing mix, any variety
1/2 cup water
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce (divided)
1/2 cup ketchup
3 tablespoons brown sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine beef, stuffing mix, water, eggs, seasoned salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce. Pat into a 9 x 13 inch glass baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes. In a small bowl, combine ketchup, brown sugar and remaining teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce; spread evenly over the meatloaf.  Continue baking for 20-30 more minutes or until meat is cooked through. 

I took the fast route and heated a bag of frozen mixed veggies plus I made a package of instant mashed potatoes.  The kids devoured their first serving of meatloaf and were asking for more before I sat down at the dinner table! Of course one of my favorite things about meatloaf is the option to create meatloaf sandwiches the next day!! Hope your family enjoys this easy comfort food with a twist!!

No comments:

Post a Comment