Saturday, November 28, 2015

Cranberry Orange Cookies

Everyone knows that this time of year (between Thanksgiving and Christmas) the magic of cookie making and treat baking goes up a notch! I can never be satisfied to make the same ol cookies every year....although my kids wouldn't mind. I'm always looking for something more unique...but still easy to make! I'm excited to share that I found my new favorite holiday cookie!!! (for this season... ha ha) This recipe perfectly blends the tartness of cranberries with the sweetness of fresh oranges and sugar. I was in such a hurry to make these yummy cookies that I forgot to take a picture of the ingredients. All the basics of a buttery sugar cookie with the addition of dried cranberries and two oranges. Next time I will double the recipe so there will be extra to share with friends!
Cranberry Orange Cookies

Sugar Mixture:
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon freshly grated orange peel 

Cookie:
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
1 tablespoon freshly grated orange peel 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all sugar mixture ingredients in small bowl and set aside. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup sugar, butter and egg. Beat until creamy. Reduce speed and add flour, baking powder and baking soda.  Beat until well mixed.  Add cranberries and 1 tbsp orange peel and beat until combined.  Shape cookies into one inch balls and roll in sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Bake for 7-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. (it took 9 minutes in my oven) Do not over bake.  Cool 1 minute and then remove from cookie sheet. 
Note: I dusted some of the extra orange sugar mixture on top of the "just baked" cookies while they were cooling. YUM!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment