Friday, October 11, 2013

Banana Roll with Cream Cheese Filling


Typically this time of year everything is "pumpkin". One of my favorite Fall desserts is the famous pumpkin roll. In the midst of a busy afternoon of dropping one kid off at dance class and then getting another kid ready for soccer practice, I suddenly remembered a recipe that I saw years ago for a Banana Roll. Of course here in the great state of Oklahoma we are still experiencing warm weather....even though we are moving into the middle of October. So I think it still qualifies me to make a slight turn from the usual treats this time of year.  Either way I am so glad that I made this delicious banana roll!!! The yumminess of the sweet banana along with the cream cheese filling......so good!!!! 



This banana roll recipe is a little different because the filling is baked along with the banana bread. I was nervous about successfully rolling it together but actually it worked pretty well. I still used a clean dish towel to help roll the edges and ended up with only a few crinkled places. Thankfully a good dusting of powdered sugar helped to cover the cracked areas.



Banana Roll with Cream Cheese Filling


Cream Cheese Filling:
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 (3 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk


Banana Cake:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
4 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup + 1/2 cup sugar, divided
1 large banana, mashed
4 egg whites
1/4 cup powdered sugar, for sifting on top of cake

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a jelly roll pan (15x10x1-inch baking pan)with butter. Line bottom of pan with waxed paper; grease the top of the paper with butter. 

Filling: In a small bowl combine cream cheese and the 1/2 cup granulated sugar; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add 1 whole egg and milk; beat until combined. Spread in the prepared pan. 

Cake: In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder and baking soda; set aside. In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks and vanilla on medium speed until thick and lemon colored. Gradually add 1/3 cup of sugar and mix well. Stir in the mashed banana. (wash the beaters before the next step) In a large bowl, beat the egg whites on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/2 cup of sugar, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold yolk mixture into egg whites. Sprinkle the flour mixture evenly over egg mixture; fold in just until blended.  Carefully spread the batter evenly over the filling in the jelly roll pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until the top springs back when lightly touched.  Immediately loosen cake from sides of pan and turn out onto a towel sprinkled with powdered sugar. Carefully peel off paper. Starting with a short side, slowly begin to roll up the cake....use the towel if you need to as a guide, but do not roll the towel into the cake. Cool completely on a rack. 


The amazing look of the banana roll on a platter is thrilling!!! I wanted to knock on all of my neighbor's doors to show them what I had accomplished! ha ha Even though I was nervous about it coming together, it truly was pretty easy. The downside is the mess it creates in your kitchen from the numerous bowls, but overall it is well worth the effort!! We enjoyed a slice of this dessert a few hours after I baked it....but honestly it was much better the next day cold out of the refrigerator. The banana flavor had really set in and the cool cream cheese was delicious!!! I'm craving another generous slice right now with a hot cup of coffee.........yum!

Carissa


2 comments:

  1. I found you through Kelly's Korner. This looks so yummy! Also thought I'd tell you that I'm from OK too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Tracy!!! So cool that you are also from Oklahoma. I LOVE sharing my favorite recipes….please let me know if you try a recipe that I have posted!!!

    ReplyDelete